This article discusses various solutions for disabling read receipts on Instagram, such as switching to airplane mode and ignoring notifications for new messages.
How to keep people from knowing you’ve read their messages on Instagram
You are unable to disable read receipts on Instagram; however, you are able to read messages in secret by first activating airplane mode on your device. But, you must refrain from pressing the new message notifications initially.
Disable Notifications of New Messages on Instagram
When you press a notice for an Instagram message, the message gets marked as read, and there is no way to undo this action once it has been taken. You can sidestep this issue by turning off notifications for Instagram Direct on your device. This is the method.
1) Open the Instagram app and navigate to the profile section of your account.
2) Choose an option by clicking the menu button (three vertical lines).
3) Tap Settings.
4) Choose the Notifications option.
5) Choose the Messages tab.
6) Under the section labeled Message Requests and Messages, select the circles that are located next to Off.
Read Instagram Messages While operating in the Airplane Mode
When you are ready to read your messages, first access your inbox and then switch your device to airplane mode before tapping on any of the messages.
1) Open the Instagram app on your device.
2) Choose the Messenger icon located in the upper right corner of the screen. Tap the envelope icon to open the Instagram Direct inbox if you haven’t already switched to the combined inbox for Facebook Messenger and Instagram Direct.
3) Activate the “Airplane Mode” and ensure that the Wi-Fi is turned off.
Swiping down from the top of the screen on an Android device allows you to enter the Quick Settings Menu. Tap Airplane mode.
Swipe down from the top of an iPhone’s screen to open the Control Center, then hit the Airplane mode icon after it has opened.
4) Go through all of your communications.
5) Leave the inbox and navigate back to the page that displays your profile.
6) Touch the symbol of the menu (three vertical lines).
7) Select the Settings option located at the bottom.
8) Go to the bottom and click the Log Out button.
9) Exit the mode for flying an airplane.
10) Sign in to your account once again.