Keyboards often come equipped with dedicated keys for muting sound from speakers, but a similar convenience is not typically available for muting the microphone. This guide explores a solution for users seeking a quick keyboard shortcut to mute and unmute the microphone on Windows 10.
How to Mute or Turn Off the Microphone in Windows 10
While speakers can be muted using dedicated keys, muting the microphone usually involves navigating within the application. To streamline this process, a keyboard shortcut can be employed. The following steps outline how to achieve this using a free app called MicMute.
1) Download and Install MicMute
- Download and install the MicMute app, a free tool designed for muting and unmuting the microphone.
2) Access MicMute Settings
- Once installed, MicMute adds a microphone icon to the system tray.
- Right-click on the MicMute icon to access the app’s settings.
3) Configure Keyboard Shortcut
- In the settings menu, select ‘Setup shortcut.
- A small window will appear; click inside it and press the desired key or keys for muting and unmuting the microphone.
- MicMute can detect both standard and special keys on the keyboard.
4) Monitor Mic State
- The system tray icon displays the current state of the microphone.
- Black indicates the mic is off, while red signifies that it is on.
5) Additional Features
- MicMute offers extra features such as an immediate mic mute on startup, listing detected audio input devices, and a ‘Push to talk’ mode where the mic operates only when a button is held down.
6) Desktop Alerts
- Each time the microphone is muted or unmuted, a desktop alert notifies the user. Users can disable these alerts in the app’s settings if desired.
7) Run at Startup
- Consider setting MicMute to run at startup for convenience.
While Windows 10 provides a mic icon in the system tray, its functionality is limited. This guide provides a workaround for creating a keyboard shortcut to mute and unmute the microphone swiftly using MicMute. Despite not being updated since 2015, the app seamlessly operates on Windows 10 1909, offering an efficient solution for users seeking a quick and easy way to control their microphones.